Subcontractor Found at Fault
The Third District Court of Appeal in Miami has ruled that a subcontractor was at fault for a fire that started within a condo during its renovation. According to the court facts, painters hired by the Brother’s Painting and Pressure Cleaning Corp, acted negligently when they failed to properly dispose of a stain-soaked rag, which was placed inside a plastic trashcan. Somehow the rag caught fire and led to damages to the condominium’s interior. Meanwhile, the court has ruled that the general contractor is a passive actor in the case and worthy of indemnification on the grounds that the subcontractor was hired to carry out the painting work without causing property damage or injury to its dwellers. However, the subcontractors disagree on the basis that the general contractor was indeed negligent, and no indemnification is owed for damages to the condo. The final ruling is awaiting confirmation by the Circuit Court for Monroe County.