In Miami, the heavy rain has caused flooding in areas near SR 395, leading to flood advisories in Miami-Dade and Broward. The downtown area of Miami, specifically Biscayne Boulevard, has experienced extensive flooding due to the heavy rain.
Flooding near the MacArthur Causeway exit ramp was being blocked by City of Miami Police to prevent drivers from getting stuck. One car was seen stalled out, and drivers attempted to take an alternate route.
Two flood advisories were still in effect in Miami-Dade until late Wednesday night, with another one in place for Central Broward.
The heaviest precipitation was recorded near Miami International Airport and Lauderdale Lakes, with over 1.8 inches of rain. The heavy rain has mostly moved offshore and is heading towards the Northwestern Bahamas.
If you are driving in an area prone to flooding, it’s important to take necessary precautions to stay safe. Here are some tips for driving during flood conditions:
- Avoid driving through flooded areas: Do not attempt to drive through flooded streets, as the depth of the water can be deceiving and can sweep your vehicle away. Turn around and find an alternate route.
- Be aware of the depth of water: If you must drive through water, make sure you know how deep it is. Water that is more than a foot deep can cause your vehicle to stall or even float away.
- Reduce your speed: Slow down and drive at a speed appropriate for the conditions. Water on the road can reduce traction and increase the risk of hydroplaning.
- Maintain a safe distance: Keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you, as it can be difficult to see the road ahead in heavy rain and spray from other vehicles.
- Use headlights: Turn on your headlights to improve visibility and make it easier for other drivers to see you.
- Avoid sudden movements: Avoid sudden movements, such as hard braking or turning sharply, as this can cause your vehicle to lose traction and skid.
- Check the weather forecast: Before heading out, check the weather forecast and avoid driving during severe weather conditions. If you must drive, plan your route carefully and allow extra time for your journey.
Suffered injuries or losses to due to flooding or strong winds?
Contact the Perazzo Law Firm to find out about a possible insurance claim for compensation.
If you have property insurance, you may be eligible for compensation to cover losses.
Call (786) LAWS-411 for a FREE initial consultation.