PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALK ACCIDENTS
There are several ways in which a pedestrian can suffer injuries by being struck by a moving vehicle while crossing at a crosswalk. They are:
- When a motor vehicle is turning left onto a two-way avenue or boulevard and fails to see a pedestrian for whatever reason (see below). In a situation like this, a pedestrian walking with his/her back towards the oncoming vehicle is unable to react and will usually suffer severe injury to the hips, knees, back, and shoulders.
- When a motor vehicle is making a right-hand turn and the pedestrian is walking with his/her back to the oncoming vehicle. When pedestrians can’t see a vehicle approaching from the right, they have no time to react. Injuries can be severe to fatal depending on the speed of the vehicle.
- When a motorist fails to observe stopped traffic ahead and rear-ends another vehicle which in turn, strikes a pedestrian crossing at a crosswalk.
- When a motorist attempt to overtake another vehicle to beat a red light and fails to spot a pedestrian that has already take to the crosswalk.
- When a motorist is distracted by negligent cellphone use and fails to spot a pedestrian crossing at a crosswalk.
- When a driver fails to spot a pedestrian due to a poorly lit area. For this, the personal injury lawyers at the Perazzo Law Firm highly urge pedestrians to avoid wearing poorly lit areas and if possible, wear reflective clothing so that distracted motorists can see them better at night.
- When motorists operate their vehicles while intoxicated. Drunk driving is the number cause of pedestrian accidents, followed by texting and driving.
- When pedestrians cross at crosswalks overly confident that fail to realize the above-mentioned dangers that come from crossing at crosswalks.
- Pedestrians may be distracted by texting or reading a text message while crossing at a crosswalk. This is a very common pedestrian accident situation which may find the pedestrian liable for the accident and not hold the driver at fault.
- In Miami, the Perazzo Law Firm urges pedestrians to procced with caution when crossing at crosswalks and stay alert to vehicles turning onto the street, avenue, or boulevard they are crossing.
WATCH THIS VIDEO FOR MORE INFORMATION ON PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENTS IN MIAMI
WHAT TO DO AFTER A PEDESTRIAN ACCIDENT
If you, a friend or relative is hurt due to struck by a motorcycle, car, or truck in Miami-Dade, Broward, or Orange County, the Perazzo Law Firm recommends the following steps:
- Stay calm
- Move out of the street if there are no head, neck, or back injuries
- If in extreme pain, do not let anyone move you until the paramedics arrive
- Have someone take down the license plate number of the vehicle that struck you while crossing at a crosswalk
- Contact the police immediately
- Document the accident scene through photos or video footage
- Try to gather eyewitness testimony
- Seek immediate medical care
- Keep all police and medical reports
- Contact the Perazzo Law Firm to find out about a possible insurance claim for compensation
STAY SAFE AND BE CAREFUL WHEN CROSSING IN MIAMI-DADE, BROWARD, AND ORANGE COUNTY.
THE PERAZZO LAW FIRM – DEDICATED TO PUTTING YOUR INTERESTS FIRST!