FLORIDA INSURANCE REFORM IN PROGRESS – DESANTIS SIGNS BILL 76
The Personal Insurance Federation of Florida (PIFF) is among several happy Florida businesses that welcome this most recent step towards insurance reform by Governor DeSantis, as he received thanks after signing an allegedly beneficial bill that will muffle property insurance rate hikes, as well as curb the high costs of insurance litigation procedures.
According to business owners, Senate Bill 76 is a huge step for several reasons. One of them is eliminating the “attorney-fee multiplier”, which allegedly increases the costs of settlement with homeowners and permitted insurance providers to lower repair costs based on several factors. For example, if your roof is damaged in a storm and it is old, the insurance adjuster will lower the value of your claim.
Some business owners believe that bad actors have been taking advantage of Florida property owners for a long time, and this is something that has jeopardized the insurance industry. Business owners also believe that that Bill 76 will allow for more progress towards the measures needed to lower the costs of lawsuit that deal with property damage and lead to increased insurance rates. These measures and others, apparently will not suffice to keep insurance rates from rising according to the Florida Consumer Protection Coalition, who seem to favor the insurance business. Since over a year, property insurance providers in Florida have been favoring double-digit increases on insurance premiums in a desperate attempt to earn more money based on their perception that excessive legal fees, fraud, and hurricane damage are to blame for rising costs.
WHAT SENATE BILL 76 DOES:
- Prohibits building contractors from trying to use ads that mislead homeowners through potential insurance claims
- Limits contractors from performing inspections of roof if they lead to a property damage insurance claim
- Fine as much as $10,000 from the Department of Business and Professional Regulation to those building contractors or third-parties that do not abide by Bill 76.
- Make it tougher for property owners to get property damage insurance coverage from Citizens Property Insurance Corp.
If you are a home owner or business owner and are having trouble with your insurance provider, do not hesitate to contact our Miami or North Miami Beach personal injury law office ONLINE of CALL (786) LAWS-411 for a FREE initial consultation.
THE PERAZZO LAW FIRM – DEDICATED TO PUTTING YOUR INTERESTS FIRST!
A QUICK LOOK A PROPERTY INSURANCE
Does your insurance provider cover damages to your home after a hurricane or other natural disaster? At present, they do, but perhaps not in the future. That said, what’s the point of having your house insured? Well, this is a matter that’s under the radar to most Florida homeowners, that’s why the Perazzo Law Firm suggests reading the article below for insight on the changes on the Florida homeowner’s horizon.
- Do you know if your home owner’s insurance cover the costs of repairs if your roof is damaged in a storm?
- Do you know if your car insurance will cover the repairs if a tree falls on your vehicle?
- If your basement floods, can you depend on your insurance provider to help you find an affordable solution?
- What happens when you inform your insurance provider about damages to your home?
- Do you need a property damage and insurance claims lawyer after damages to your home?
- In Miami, the Perazzo Law Firm responds.
TYPES OF PROPERTY DAMAGE
Businesses or people that suffer looting or vandalism can find it challenging to face insurance claims for damages and losses. Those that own a vehicle, home, or other property, may carry insurance to help face the costs brought on by vandalism, looting, natural disasters, or other situations which may result in property damage. Hurricane season, for example, spans several months, from June to November. But what happens after a hurricane has left you with damages and losses? Firstly, you will need to contact a public adjuster as soon as possible and let them know. How long before your insurance provider compensates you for the cost of repairing damaged property, replace damaged goods, or treat any injuries incurred by a hurricane depends on the help of an experienced property damage attorney in Miami.
STEPS TO TAKE AFTER HURRICANE DAMAGE
In Miami, the Perazzo Law Firm provides best advice following a hurricane that causes property damage and losses.
- Check for bodily harm of present
- Stay inside until the police notify that it is safe to go outdoors
- Do not approach fallen power cables
- If you smell gas, report the incident, and find shelter
- Avoid making any repairs unless your safety is at stake
- Do go on the roof of your house
- Document the damages via images or video footage
- Contact a public adjuster to handle your insurance claim
- Hire a insurance claim attorney to litigate any disputes between the public adjuster and the insurance provider
WHO COVERS YOUR HOME REPAIRS AFTER A NATURAL DISASTER WHEN YOU HAVE PROPERTY DAMAGE INSURANCE? IN MIAMI, THE PERAZZO LAW FIRM
An insurance provider is supposed to pay compensation to their clients in when a hurricane or other natural disaster causes property damage. However, insurance providers may often reject the victim’s claim. In Miami, the Perazzo Law Firm recommends getting the assistance of a public adjuster to help maximize the property damage claim and prevent the insurance company’s adjuster from paying below the real value. For added protection, an insurance claims lawyer will further guarantee that their client gets fair compensation. Furthermore, your property damage or personal injury lawyer will handle pre-suit claims, civil remedy notices, litigate in a court of law, and many more legal formalities which may overwhelm the victims of property damage from a hurricane or other natural disaster.
A store or shop that experiences one or more of the damages listed above, may not be able to carry out any immediate repairs without taking out a loan or may have to close-down. Fortunately, most businesses have property damage insurance, and an experienced lawyer can help you get your business back on track.
The Perazzo Law Firm is a Miami-Dade based personal injury law firm with attorneys and staff that strive to provide the best possible legal representation when handling accident liability lawsuits and insurance claims for compensation for Florida residents that have suffered personal injury, property damage, or losses due to the negligence or wrongdoing of individuals, business operators, or corporations.
At the Perazzo Law Firm, Jonathan Perazzo, founder of the personal injury law firm, aims be the best personal injury lawyer in Miami through his professionalism, experience, and the firm’s fully-dedicated staff.
Contact us immediately after an accident or losses suffered, to find out whether you have a case that merits compensation through a Personal Injury Claim.
In Miami, the Perazzo Law Firm serves personal injury practice areas that range from car accidents involving vehicle insurance providers, to pedestrian accidents which may include premises liability accident claims from slip, trip and fall situations (see our Practice Areas).